We hit a bad spot of road, spun out, and collided with what we think was another vehicle--maybe also the barrier.
Jill was passed out, so I steered us to the shoulder of the road, put on the emergency brake and hazard lights, and called 911.
I called Ben and told him what happened and asked him to call my dad. I called my uncle Greg (Jill's dad). I prayed for my baby.
Jill woke up and didn't remember anything, even after I had told her what had happened several times.
Jill's kids, Jackson (3) and Bianca(2) were scared for their mommy because she was bleeding. Jackson kept saying "owee!" and pointing at her. Both kids were uninjured and I tried to comfort them.
The police came and asked Jill for her license. She couldn't remember what day or month it was.
The ambulances came and they wanted me out so they could get to Jill. They took me to the hospital on an uncomfortable stretcher wearing a neck brace. Bumps in the road hurt really bad. I only went because I was worried for my baby.
The ER people took my clothes (with scissors) and gave me an IV and a catheter. They sent me to the labor and delivery floor so the baby could be treated with me as needed.
I waited about 5 hours for someone from the ER to recheck my neck and back for problems. I was so uncomfortable the nurse wanted to give me morphine. My dad threatened the Drs that he would move me himself if they wouldn't and the resident finally moved me, though without express permission. That relieved so much pain! ER Drs came up a few minutes later and cleared me, allowing the neck brace to come off as well.
My baby's heartbeat, my heartbeat, and my contractions were monitored. Baby kicked regularly at the monitors strapped across my belly, bringing me much relief as to his well-being. Contractions were frequent (2-4 minutes apart) but not strong. I was barely conscious of them in light of everything else.
Dad kept me company and updated me on Jill. She got staples in her head and morphine for her pain and went home that day around 4:00. Her kids were fine! :) What a blessing. I'm pretty sure she has regained her memory as well.
They put me back on oxygen for a while when baby's heart rate dropped, and moved me to my side. We found out more specifically what was causing me pain-- a ligament that lies across the pubic bone was stretched or torn, along with all of the muscles under where the seat belt had secured me being sore. I didn't hurt much at all when lying still, but any movement of those muscles, etc. caused immense pain. I held still a lot. :)
My dad gave me a blessing and I knew baby would be all right, and not be born today. We watched TV and requested a more comfortable chair for Dad. They brought one in that makes a bed and brought me some ice chips. Dad slept for an hour or two while I ate my ice chips, dozed, and met with Drs on the night shift.
12:30 am Ben arrived from Washington! It was a long drive to be with me, and it was so good to see him!! Dad went home for some real sleep and gave Ben his chair-bed. We both got about 4-5 hours of sleep.
8:00 am they brought in my first meal and I took my first real pain meds-Loritab. Contractions were slowing, my blood count was stablizing, and everything was going well, so they encouraged me to start getting out of bed and moving as preparation for checkout.
About 3pm Dad brought me some of Mom's PJs and we left the hospital around 4. It was great to head back to Farmington!
Extreme memories
Freakiest moment: seeing Jill look like a bloody ragdoll.
Scariest thought: wondering if my baby would survive.
Funniest phonecall: a tie between Jackie calling to make sure I was home all right ("Nope, I am actually at the hospital right now..." "What?!") and my dad breaking the news to my mom, who was in LA at the time. "Rachel had a little car trouble, so she isn't driving back to Washington today..."
Newest record: having my blood drawn 6 times in less than 24 hours. Previous to this day, I had only ever had my blood drawn 3 times, and two of them were for this pregnancy (the other in preparation for my mission). That's not including the IV.
Most random nickname: "Trauma pisces." That's what it said on my wristband, and that's how everyone knew me. By the way, I'm an aquarius. :)
My comfy hospital bed and my amazing husband
Papa wheeling from the hospital
how scary - I am so glad you were all okay!
ReplyDeleteHoly crap! Rachel, do you not remember me saying, "Have a safe trip home." when we said good-bye on Thursday?? Wow!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you and your cousin are ok now and that the kids are fine (including unborn baby boy). Sounds pretty crazy! Next time, please call me and I can come help too!
Love you!
So glad you're both OK. Well, so glad all 6 of you are OK. 2 mamas, 2 kids and 2 unborn babies, that's quite the precious cargo. Hope the rest of your pregnancy is uneventful!
ReplyDeleteAmber, you are so right. I didn't mention Jill's baby but it is amazing that all 6 of us came out so well!
ReplyDeleteDar, thanks for the offer! Hopefully there won't be any repeats of this experience but if there are I will let you know!
good heavens, what a day for all of us...I am still shocked and SO very grateful that we all made it out ok!
ReplyDeletegeez, no wonder my whole left side is still in so much pain...that driver side door really had a number done on it!!
Tell Ben I feel aweful about destroying his baby, but she held up like a champ for us!
We hope to see you guys soon!
Jill, it's good to hear from you! I hope things are going well!
ReplyDeleteOMG i am so glad you are all ok. that is so scary! sad about loosing your car but glad it did it's job and kept you all safe! <3
ReplyDeleteGlad to see the pictures. And yes, Dad's "a little car trouble..." was a great understatement. Jill had a right to look bad. We are blessed. Love, MOM
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you're okay! What a blessing!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear that happened. I hope you're doing getter now. Such a blessing to hear your that both you and your baby are ok though. :)
ReplyDelete