April 29, 2010

Finally, some details!

L&D
On Easter (April 4) my mom almost came to Washington early, just to be sure and be here when Hyrum arrived. Monday night, I woke up to use the bathroom as usual during my pregnancy and noticed I was having contractions. Since I had heard that the first baby takes a while to arrive, I figured I had plenty of time and went back to bed. I started counting them, being unable to go back to sleep, and found they were already 4-6 minutes apart and about 40 seconds long. After about an hour I started needing something to squeeze and found Ben's arm. He woke up soon afterward and we counted them for another hour, now about 3 minutes apart for about a minute long. We decided they were regular enough we should probably head to the hospital. We grabbed our things and Ben gave me a blessing, and off we went! I was admitted at about 4:45 am after confirming that I was dilated to 4.5 cm. At 7:30 am I was at 10 cm and started the pushing! Ben was great about letting me squeeze his arm and telling me "one more! Just one more push!" Hyrum was born at 8:07 am. The first thing they saw of him was his blonde hair and the first thing we heard was that his lungs work great. Dad cut the umbilical cord and the Dr. stitched me up. Everything went as smoothly as it could have (other than tearing) and I count that as a huge blessing.

Hospital stay
We stayed at the hospital for 2 days so they could keep an eye on Hyrum as I had had group B strep. He was as healthy as can be! Hyrum loves to be really warm and a funny thing that happened is that when they unwrapped him to poke his foot for the blood test he cried about being unwrapped but not about getting poked. Is this really my kid? (I am bad with needles)
We enjoyed spending time together at the hospital with Ben, who does a great job wrapping Hyrum up nice and tight how he likes it, "like a burrito."

Going home
We left the hospital on Thursday afternoon, about 1/2 hour before my mom arrived. Ben took us home and then went to pick her up. It was awesome to have her stay with us for a few weeks; she helped out a lot around the house and with the baby! She was later joined by my Dad, Matt, and then Liz. A lot of projects were completed by them while they were here, including fixing my stove (yay for having 2 burners that work!!), completing a bathroom that had hardly been started, painting trim, building a step, removing window stickers, and cleaning out the living room. It was awesome to have so many helping hands around! We also played a few games and, of course, enjoyed holding the baby. It was really great to see everyone!

The blessing
We decided, somewhat last minute, to bless Hyrum while both sets of grandparents were in the same state. He looked adorable in his little white suit and Ben gave the blessing, which was beautiful! We were so happy to see some of Hyrum's aunts, uncles,and cousins attend and enjoyed spending some time with them afterward as well.

Hyrum Benjamin
Hyrum is now 3.5 weeks old and is such a sweet tempered baby, I really couldn't ask for anything more! He sleeps for about 4 hours at a time during the night and seems to understand that daytime is the time to play, which is very nice. He eats well and always gets hiccoughs afterward to let his mom know he is done burping. He continues to move as consistently as he did in the womb and especially enjoys arching his back and throwing his head around, making it an adventure to hold him. He already seems to confirm to me that he is very determined and a go-getter, as I had guessed before he was born, and I feel like I will miss something if I blink when I'm around him! I feel very blessed to have such an angel-baby and hope I can be a good mother to him! I love him so much!!
Hyrum probably weighs about 8 lbs now and is very cute (just ask me, I'm his mom...). He has a lot of hair and big baby hands. I've been back and forth about who I think he looks like, but currently I think he looks like a Harris baby but with some of Ben's features.
Life is great!

7 comments:

  1. Sometime soon, dress Hyrum in that white suit and take a picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like an awesome baby:) I think he looks like you too, boys tend to resemble the moms a lot when they are babies (in my opinion). Did you have an epideral?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad things went well for you and your family was able to come too. Enjoy your sweet little boy, he will grow up fast! ps. I need your address. email it to fluckiger8@gmail.com
    please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom, I actually did have some pictures taken in his little suit on Wednesday by Destiny (from my ward) but I didn't get one on my camera and haven't gotten a copy from her yet. Don't worry though, we did take some! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren, I didn't end up getting an epidural, actually! I was thinking that I would but the worst of the contractions were over before I got to the hospital and he was coming pretty fast so I just got some IV meds to take the edge off instead.
    I hope your cruise was awesome! We'll have to chat soon so you can tell me about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is the cutest little boy! I haven't seen any little boys in such a long time. They are so cute! I am so glad I'll be able to come see you soon. I'll have to talk to you more then. Love ya tons! ~Rachel B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on having a sweet tempered little blond! Cambric and Mike also have a sweet boy, a little bigger, with barely there dark hair. IT's so fun to meet little angels joining the family...

    ReplyDelete