May 20, 2009

porphyry

The purple stone in these pics is porphyry, pronounced "pa-fer," and has been mined to extinction. Our tour guide told us no one knows how it was carved back then since we don't know how to carve it even now(it's very hard stone). It is very valuable and 80% of it is owned by the Pope.

Nero's bathtub, said to be worth $425 million!!

4 comments:

  1. I am so jealous that you go to go to Europe! I am glad that you didn't tell me earlier or my jealousy would have consumed me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the tub made of the purple stone or gold or ? Wow. What a fun trip you guys. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, Whit, I'm sure you'll make it over there sometime. It was really cool to see all the things I learned about from my art history class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dar, it's purple stone with gold trimmings. It was pretty incredible to see! :)

    ReplyDelete